lørdag den 8. oktober 2011

Wauw, just wauw! Okay how to begin this .. right. My host family went away for the national holiday, leaving me behind in Shenzhen. It was nice to have some quiet time, but I did actually miss them. But then Monday I had to go to Hong Kong to get a new visa.
Of course I decided to leave on Monday when the public holiday began, hence almost the entire population of Shenzhen were at Lou Hu port crossing the border to Hong Kong. At first I didn't notice how many of them there were, but then a lady saw my European passport and took me through a staff channel from where I could see them all queing. It was wicked, but fortunately I was lead all the way up to the desk for foreigners, hence skipping the entire queue.
So many people everywhere. I found the train into the center, dropped off my passport, caught the metro to my hostel and checked in.
I went for a small wander around the city but I got well lost and ended up walking around in circles.
In the afternoon I went back to the hostel to get a map and ended up having random conversations with random people, which was really cool.

Back in my dorm I met one of the girls staying there. Being Chinese and not really speaking much English, it was a dead end. I turned it into an early night, because it had been quite a long day which too much stuff going on. My bed was both hard and cold. I honestly don't think I slept more than two hours that night.
Next morning China girl left VERY early in the morning. Waking up me and the other girl, who then began talking about random things. She turned out to be from Peru, but living in the Netherlands at the moment studying. Anaís and I then decided to go to H&M but first we dropped by Starbucks to get some brekky.

After H&M, which was massive, but didn't open until 10.30 (!) I went to Kowloon to check out Ladie's Market. I spent some time in Kowloon just walking around the tiny streets of Mong Kok, and later went to the Avenue of Stars, which I presume is a bit like Walk of Fame in Hollywood. There were many people there! In fact too many, so I retrieved and found a bench and sat there for some time just observing the skyline. I love Hong Kong. I really do. I doubt that I could live there but I do like it very much.
It is an entirely different world. People actually speak English and it is way easier to get around than in China. There are many people though, but that's alright. I love how alive the city is even at 4.30 in the morning.

I went back to the hostel. Bought a new pair of shoes and chilled in the reception where I later met Tamzin who had randomnly been given a ticket to the movies and asked me if I wanted to join. So we went to the movies in Hong Kong, which was a cold experience.
After the movie we decided to cross with the ferry to Kowloon to watch the skyline lit up. Again, amazing. We then went back to Hong Kong island and got a cup of coffee at Starbucks while talking about everything from vegetarians to being executed in China. We stayed until 1am just talking before finally heading back to the hostel, where we said goodbye to each other, as Tamzin had to leave the next morning.

Next morning I met the new girl in our dorm. A Malaysian girl called Rowena. She was going to a pharmacy outlet in Kowloon and I asked if I could join her. I did and we had a great time. I bought my iPhone first, then we went to the market which was mental! So many people everywhere, but definitely worth it. I bought a Clinique cream for just 4 USD! It's all genuine and such. We then had milk tea, of course. Rowena likes it just as much as I do. Rowena was of excellent help. She speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese and knows a lot about Hong Kong. I really admire her for her language skills!

In the afternoon we got ready to go out. We bought some beer and chilled in the reception with the others. I quickly began chatting with a Brighton guy, and two Canadian guys. We went out that night and had a blast.

The Canadians had convinced me to stay an extra night, so I did and spent all of the next day with them and Brighton guy, Mike. We went to the Space Museum and in the evening to the racecourse which was really cool. We ended up in Lan Kwai Fong, which is where it all goes down in Hong Kong. A good night indeed.

Yesterday I am came back to Mainland. It is very strange being back.
My four days in Hong Kong were just amazing and they made me realise that it isn't home that I miss. Of course I miss my parents and my best friends, but all I miss is travelling. Moving around and meeting new people, being independent, living in hostels, bonding with people over H&M and Starbucks muffins. They really aren't lying when they say that travelling is a drug, and I am sure that I was made for this. Most people feel really uncomfortable when they approach the unknown and when they are all by themselves with no safety net, but I love it. I really do.
It's not that I don't enjoy living in China and being an au pair, but it is a very different experience. I think three months is enough for me, and don't think I will be an au pair again.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar