fredag den 26. august 2011

Some days we just spend doing absolutely nothing, which is alright by me.
Other days we decide to do nothing for the day and end up at the plaza. Like Wednesday night, when we just casually went to the plaza, because we had nothing better to do. That's all good, because plaza usually means milk tea (yum, I'm in love). Becky and I dropped off Michelle in "Fundoland" which is an indoor playground sort of thing. Then we went off shopping. I am trying to live off the money I am earning here. Partially, because I want  to save money for "adventure 2012", yes Emma Fisher, this is for you, but just as much because I know that what I am paid is what an average Chinese is paid for a part time job. I am paid 150 dollars a month. 
Becky was so excited for shopping! One thing I love about China, is that you can find everything here. The shops sell so many quirky things, I love it! Though I haven't bought any yet, because I know it will end up in my drawer and never see sunlight again. Anyway, I was looking at a wallet, which I thought was pretty cool, when Becky said: "You can buy it, you have money, I know." It made me feel really awkward. I just said that I didn't want to buy so much stuff. Which is actually true. It was a bracelet which I will probably never wear back home, but I liked it at the moment.
Becky told me how she really wants a Louis Vuitton bag, but how expensive they are. I asked her how much they are in China, 900 yuan, which is roughly 180 dollars. I knew instantly that she must have been thinking about the replicas which are to find in every shop, yes even proper shops. I went into a shop and grabbed a "Gucci" wallet, just to see the price. 90 dollars, and it wasn't even a nice replica, but here they believe that that's the real deal. Well some do, because I have a vague idea that my host mum is actually running around with a proper Gucci bag, but to be honest I am no longer certain, which is really unlike me.
Instead of buying completely useless stuff I invited Becky for milk tea, and she loved me and I loved my milk tea. She is always surprised when I finish off my milk tea within in instants while she takes her time drinking hers.
Another thing I have noticed and one that I am sure will annoy me during my stay, is that the Chinese can be really selfish. Michelle bought a bag of sweets and didn't offer any to me or Becky. But that's their culture I guess. I am affraid of saying anything, because I don't want to offend them and I don't think they'd understand it if I told them that this is how we are in Denmark.
This is just another thing I will have to get used to.

Yesterday we spent the entire afternoon at the plaza and there is really not a whole lot to do there except shopping, which is starting to bore me. We began our afternoon with a milk tea, of course. After walking around the plaza for several hours, I was sort tired. We left home at 1pm and met Elisa and William at 6.30pm so 5,5 hours of walking around doing nothing. We ate out last night and then went to the movies, where I scored my second milk tea for the day, oh yeah. The people at the shop know me already and among  the little Chinese I know is the sentense: can I have a milk tea please.

My patience has definitely been tested while I have been here. Today Becky asked me to teach her English grammar. I first dragged her through all of the tenses, then tried to explain to her how to use them, and when. It is difficult because I just speak the language and pay no attention to which tense I am using. She understood me, fortunately, but a timeline became her best friend.
After lunch Elisa told Michelle to join our English lesson. Michelle finds grammar boring, so I had to switch to something completely different. I tried teaching her a song, but she didn't want to do anything and was being so grumpy! I was so annoyed, especially when she began crying and acting like a two year old. It was so hard holding all of my anger back. I was exploding! But I tried to act cool. I was relieved when the lesson was over and had to tell poor Becky, who was so keen on learning more that I needed a break. Fortunately, she understood. Luckily, Becky is quite happy just talking in English, so she came into my room and we had conversations about everything. I can tell that she is thinking about which tenses to use in her sentenses and her English has definitely improved since I came here, which makes me really proud of her.
As to Michelle, well she has been moody all afternoon and hasn't spoken to me since, but she'll come around.



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar