tirsdag den 16. august 2011

A whole other world

After 6 days in China, I have realised that this is like a whole other world.
The other day me and Michelle had a splendid time! We went shopping and had KFC for dinner, and just enjoyed ourselves. KFC is not the same here. They sell Chinese soup, noodles and rice and the amount of people who actually go there the for chicken is small.

Yesterday I had my first English lesson with the family, which just assured me that under no circumstances will I ever be a teacher. Unfortunately my patience is too low. But that's alright, at least now I know that I am unsuitable for that profession.
After dinner we went to the cinema, where we went the other day as well to watch a kids movie, in Chinese of course! My host family loves going to the cinema, but as far as I can tell it is just as much a matter of prestige as actually watching the movies, as the cinema seems to be for the upper class. So off we went yesterday to the cinema, to watch yet another Chinese movie, but this time with English subtitles. The translation is Chinglish, so nowhere near grammatically correct. The movie was absolutely horrible, but my host family seemed to enjoy it tremendously so I just smiled and nodded when they asked me if I liked it.
Man, a whole new world, this is. In the cinema my host dad was joyfully playing on his iPad, and when his phone rang, he casually just picked it up and began talking in the middle of the movie. Nobody told him to be quiet or anything. Nobody gave a shit, to be fair. The movie had barely ended when the lights came on and everybody began walking out of the cinema at once.

Today we went to a market, which my host mum described as "very dirty", and yes it was dirty, but the dirt as such wouldn't have bothered me. Just be careful where you step - no, it was the odours of raw meat, combined with fresh vegetables and sweat which made me feel sick. I quite literally got nauseous. Pretty much, the market was covered, the stands were inches away from each other, one selling meat, the other one selling fruit or veges. It was hot and people were sweaty and the smells couldn't escape the covered area. I guess I am a bit to European for this. Moreover, the butchers were gutting the animals, cutting up their stomachs in front of me on a very unhygienic surface. Interesting to see if I will eat at all today because I definitely lost my appetite. Having said that, this is all just a part of the adventure. But next time my host mum, Elisa, asks me if I want to go to the market with her, I'll probably say no.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar