mandag den 29. august 2011

Where else if not in China?

Weekends in my Chinese family are spent doing things together. The mornings are always lazy, nobody is doing anything, but then after lunch is when it all happens. Hence, Sunday afternoon was spent in a karaoke bar. But a karaoke bar as you would imagine it. This place was much bigger than any karaoke bar I have ever seen. We rented a VIP room, which basically meant that we had a room the size of our living room in Denmark to ourselves, with a massive gold upholstered couch, comfy pillows, our own Western style toilet, flat screen and a glass coffee table. Where else if not in China? They love their karaoke too. Fortunately, they had English songs, but in China Britney Spears' Baby One More Time is still big and Ke$ha and Justin Bieber are something near to God. So I was forced to roar Tick Tock and Poker Face, until I for a second overtook the touch screen catalogue and found the real deal, such as Beatles and REM. I am pretty sure I introduced them all to the Beatles, and it wasn't really their style, but I enjoyed it tremendously.
After singing our souls out, we went for dinner, and shopping, which was pretty much just chocolate shopping. Will and I had a conversation about iPads, iPods and iPhones, and he told me how a lot of people in the cities have iPads, because they are so easy to use and so brilliant. I told him that I haven't really seen many around in Denmark, which he found weird. But then I told him that iPhones are common back home, where to he said: "But they are so expensive and not easy to play games on". And where else if not China can they actually make an iPhone out of your iPod for just 100 dollars? I laughed so hard when he told me this, not because it's particularly funny, but because it is absolutely genious!

Yesterday I had my first Chinese class, which I had been looking forward to. I don't understand anything of what they're saying, I mean I sort of make sense of a sentence when my name is mentioned, but other than that I am lost. It's the first time I have ever been this lost.
Anyway, my class was in the other district. I live in the Nanshan district, which I have just been told is the new center of the city and hence the more expensive area. My classes are in the Futian district, the old center, but now more the economical center.
My hostmum said that she'd take me there. I had been told my class would begin at 1pm. But in the meantime this had been changed to 1.30. So there we were in the car on our way to Futian. She dropped me off at the building where I met Joe my coordinator who took me up to their office.
Kaitlyn, an american girl, who is also an au pair came around at 1.30 and we were ready to begin.
Chinese is probably the most complex language I have ever had to learn. I am struggling with the tones. The numbers are my best friend at the moment, same with the countries. Hopefully I will pick up a bit of Chinese before I go back. Fingers crossed.



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar